How to pursue a complaint against a regulated utility

If you have a complaint against a utility, follow these three major steps to get it resolved:

  1. First, talk directly with the utility. If the person you are speaking with initially is not able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction, ask to speak with a supervisor.

  2. If those efforts fail, reach out to the Public Staff – North Carolina Utilities Commission. Their Consumer Services Division has employees to help consumers resolve utility complaints. You can reach them via phone (919-733-9277 or 866-380-9816) or via email.

  3. If, after working with the Public Staff, your problem is still not resolved, you can file a formal complaint with the Utilities Commission.


Social Media